Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:45:09 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

Note: -advocacy removed from recipient list

Brett Glass said on Nov 30, 2000 at 17:10:40:

> Also, proponents of the GPL are now opting for an expanded
> requirement based on the notion of "performance for profit."
> Just running the code in a situation where you made money
> from it would trigger a requirement to forfeit one's work.

Typical Brett bullshit.  What some proponents of GPL are suggesting
is that the GPL should cover ASP's -- people who don't distribute
the code itself in either source or binary form, but set it up on
their server and allow other people should use it via the web.
Personally it looks like a bad idea to me, and hard to enforce, but
it's quite different from a generic "situation where you made money
from it".

There's a sort of preview of GPL v3 at
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=00/11/01/1636202
which largely agrees with what Stallman seems to be saying in other
places too.