Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 20:11:50 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

+-----[ Mike Smith ]------------------------------

| > I have actually used it on a Tk thing I wrote, to see what it looked
| > like on a console. It doesn't do too bad a job. There are obviously
| > somethings that aren't going to work like pretty logos and iconic
| > displays (which are overrated anyway IMHO).
|
| "It" as in vtcl, or ctk?

Ctk. I must be having a bad grammar day.

| I think your standards are just a little low
| if you think ctk "doesn't do too bad a job".

I'm just a simple man, I admire simple things d8)

| It's certainly not
| possible to write a single interface that works with both ctk and
| "real" Tk, unlike with vtcl.
|
| Been there, tried to do that.  8)

Depends on what kind of interface you want. Sysinstall currently
shows menus and pops dialog boxes, and that's about the extent of the
UI. I'm sure you could do a great job of that using CTK, and it'd look
pretty enough under X. At the very least the UI would be consistent.

How much do you want it to do? How much should it do?

Heh if you wanted to be cute you could 'publish' a sysinstall API
and people could make their own shared libraries to give them the GUI of
their choice. I'm sure Jordan doesn't need me adding to his workload
though d8)

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233