Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:33:21 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, guru@sisis.de
Subject:   Re: 6.0-REL && ports/devel/subversion

On Friday 30 December 2005 11:04 pm, guru@sisis.de wrote:
> El d=EDa Friday, December 30, 2005 a las 12:17:49PM -0800, Kent Stewart=20
escribi=F3:
> > On Friday 30 December 2005 02:39 am, guru@sisis.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > the ports compilation of subversion-1.2.1 failes with:
> > >
> > > subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/commit.c:32:23: ne_socket.h: No such
> > > file or directory subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/commit.c:33:24:
> > > ne_request.h: No such file or directory
> > > subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/commit.c:34:22: ne_props.h: No such file
> > > or directory
> > > subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/commit.c:35:22: ne_basic.h: No such file
> > > or directory
> > >

> > > it seems that the missing header files are part of
> > > ports/www/neon/ but don't get installed;
> > >
> > > what is the right way to fix this?
> > > Thx
> >
> > Were you using portupgrade or portmanage? They are supposed to
> > automagically take care of problems like that.
> >
> > Sometimes, even if you use them, the build doesn't happen but if
> > you look at the configure messages, you will see it is missing.
> > Since it is in the dependancy list, I would just build neon and try
> > building subversion again.
> >
> > I first would try updating subversion with one of the tools and see
> > if it is fixed for you.
>
> I deinstalled ports/www/neon/ and installed it again; now it placed
> the header files and the ports/devel/subversion went fine; I don't
> know why it did not automatically in the process started by 'make
> install' in ports/x11/kde :-((
>
> I had one or two PANIC's during the makes and while I was copying
> over my homeland from the older notebook, maybe the later fsck
> removed the just installed header files;
>
> with the PANIC's I still have to work out, what's going on; I can
> now reproduce them by:
>
> - booting into normal runlevel
> - login as root and than
>   # kldload kqemu
>   # kldstat
>   # su - user --> PANIC
>
> Any hints on that?

Boot to single user and fsck your system. It sounds like you have some=20
bad sectors. If the fsck removed anything you just added such as header=20
files, you could have problems like you saw. FreeBSD will do a=20
background fsck but sometimes you need to do it in the foreground.=20

With a release, any panic is important. They just don't happen unless=20
something is wrong. Portupgrade or portmanage can reduce the chances of=20
building modules out of order. If you build them manually out of order,=20
problems like the one you saw with neon can happen.

If it is software, you can back out ports that you load until you don't=20
have problems.

A panic can happen with the ?-stables and that is why you boot to the=20
new kernel is single user mode. Recovery is trivial until you have done=20
an installworld.

Kent

> > "Nunca te acostar=E1s sin saber una cosa m=E1s"
> > http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html
>
> off-topic:
>
> Tu frase de firma me llam=F3 la atenci=F3n :-)
> Tengo otra en castellano tambi=E9n y unas p=E1ginas pa' ti
> http://www.sisis.de/~guru/Espanol/list.html
>
> 	matthias

=2D-=20
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

"Nunca te acostar=E1s sin saber una cosa m=E1s"