Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:25:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      gnat@frii.com
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Libraries

I don't know if this has been raised before or not.  I'm working on
the gtk port of Mozilla, and also trying to compile GNOME for FreeBSD.
The biggest problem I've run into so far has been the non-standard
naming of libraries.

libtiff34 is the best example.  The GNOME autoconf code looks for
libtiff.a or libtiff.so, *not* libtiff34.*

I'm pretty sure the libtiff34 naming thing is bogus.  I'm less certain
of this shared library weirdness: the installation of a libpng.so.2.1
without installing libpng.so as a soft link seems wrong to me.  A lot
of the code I've seen on the net (and, in this case, GNOME) wants to
link in libwhatever.so and not bother with the version numbers.

Is there a standard for this?  Could someone point me towards it?

Thanks,

Nat