Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:45:55 -0700
From:      "Fred L. Templin" <templin@erg.sri.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, templin@erg.sri.com
Subject:   Re: wd0 / bt848 causing IDE timeouts

Roger,

> I think it is possible the bt848 driver is causing lots of interrupts
> when there is not a TV signal but there is lots of noise.
> Would excessive IRQs (say 100 a second) cause the IDE to timeout?

I would think it more likely that you're spending too much time in the
interrupt service routine per individual interrupt while blocking other
device interrupts. Look for long-duration DELAYs, and verify whether your
spl*()'s are setting a higher priority than necessary.

Regards,

Fred
templin@erg.sri.com