Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 22:01:45 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: X configuration

On Tue, 25 Apr 1995, Plyaskin Sergey wrote:

> I have a short question. Where do I configure the initial settings for
> X (e.g. number of windows, their sizes and position on the screen)?
> From my past Sun experience, I recall something like .XDefaults. Where
> is it here? I run twm.

    If you start up X each time you login with "startx", a file called
.xinitrc in your home directory will be run when X comes up.  Put in
the commands you want to run in this file.  This way you can have a
bunch of applications automatically started each time, configure your
screen saver, set your root backdrop, etc.  "man xinit" for the
details.

    If you login via xdm (the graphical login), then those commands
should go in a file called .xsession in your home directory.  "man
xdm" for the details.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org