Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 16:50:06 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beowulf, bsd, and linux (flamebait)

fwiw,

I talked with the project leader of MOSIX when it was only ported to
BSDI. We talked fairly long about this...

Factor's in favor of BSD:

* Better structured development, no "let's rewrite the kernel today"
or "who cares about backward compatibility".
* Better networking stack, with proven performance.
* Well designed kernel (well...at least designed).
* License

Factors against BSD:

* Less commercial tools available
* Less known when asked to the common people.

His group then chose Linux for only one reason: bigger userbase..more
possible funding for future projects. He then quoted a phrase (in
spanish!) that I won't repeat here...the only thing clear was that he
didn't like linux but everyone else used it.

Nowadays I think they probably took the right choice; they had
licensing clashes at first but they seem happy with Linux. I doubt
they are making much money from it, and I doubt they have much contact
with Linus, but they have never discussed abandoning it, afaik.

FreeBSD has advanced on it's own in important ways. We are also much
better known thanks to Mac OS X, so I don't doubt something like MOSIX
will appear. And we have new tools in place now; if someone were
thinking in porting MOSIX, or an advanced Beowulf type of thing, they
should consider netgraph...I think.

My $0.02

	Pedro.