Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 17:21:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <alex@zen.nash.org>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixing SIMMs of different speeds

> >I'm wondering if I can mix 60 and 70ns SIMMs.  Everyone says don't,
> >but they don't say why.  I can understand not mixing SIMMs that will
> >be accessed simultaneously (like banks 1 and 2), but why shouldn't it
> >work when they are separated?  My motherboard's manual indicates 70ns
> >or faster will work, so why wouldn't a mixture?
>
> Probably because the people who designed your motherboard designed its
> timing parameters with the assumption that all your memory would
> display consistent behavior.

The question is what behavior is it expecting?  If it expects the data
to be valid within 70ns, it is consistent.

> Another thing is that some motherboards will do interleaved access if
> you have matching size SIMMs in all the slots.  This is where it
> alternates between accessing bank 1 and bank 2 on even/odd memory
> accesses.

Aren't both banks (1&2) accessed simultaneously for any 32-bit access?
When you said all slots, you mean groups of two, right?

> This speeds things up because it only has to initialize the
> address on the first access of a burst, and can then burst in
> consecutive blocks of memory with little setup time.  If your SIMMs
> have different timing characteristics, you will definitely have to
> find a way to let your motherboard know to use only the slowest access
> speed, or don't try it at all.

As I wrote in the first message, I wouldn't expect a mixture of 60ns
in bank 1 and 70ns in bank 2 (and _probably_ vice versa, depending on
how the speed is determined) to work.

> If it were going to work at all, that would be my suggestion: put the
> slower memory first, so if it does some sort of test to see how fast
> your memory is, it might use the slower memory for the timings.  Note
> that this is highly speculative and implementation specific.  Only the
> people who designed your motherboard can tell you for sure.

Good, so I'm not crazy for thinking this might work :)

Alex