Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:59:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tom Maher <tardis@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open AFS: Finally available !!

On 1 Nov 2000, Tom Maher wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
>
> > "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu> writes:
> > > http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/afs/?dwzone=opensource
> >
> > So, who's volunteering to port it to FreeBSD?
>
> I've got most of userland compiled on a 4.1.1-RELEASE machine.  Largely,
> this involved adding bunches of little #ifdef's.
>
> Sadly, I have little in-kernel programming experience, but am working to
> change that.
>
> Unsurprisingly, some of the more frequently used utilities, like fs and
> vos, dump core when I try to run them under arla 0.34.5.

People to talk to about kernel support for OpenAFS would include:

- Coda project members who worked on FreeBSD/*BSD (myself, Shafeeq
  Sinamohideen <shafeeq@FreeBSD.org>, Bob Baron)

- Arla developers (Assar, others, <assar@freeBSD.org>, arla-drinkers
  mailing list)

The first open question would be: (1) port the supporting kernel module to
FreeBSD, or (2) attempt to rework OpenAFS to use the Arla module or the
Coda module?  Since I haven't looked at the OpenAFS module yet, I can't
comment on differences.  On the other hand, AFS has, at various times,
supported BSD VFS-like platforms, meaning that it may not be all that
difficult of a port, and may be easier than substantially diverging from
the OpenAFS base.