Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:20:20 -0400
From:      Ju Ichi <freebsd-security@ichi.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 6:49 am, Mark Murray wrote:
> Hello Security list members
>
> I got an overwhelmingly positive (off-list, thanks!) response to
> my complaint that this list's signal-to-noise ratio was terrible.

As a newbie here, I'd like to respond after having read all of the responses
so far.  Hopefully, the flames won't be too bad.

I've posted a couple of times recently looking for a solution to what I
believe is/was a fairly involved, security-related problem.  If by doing so,
I contrubuted to the noise on the list, I am truly sorry.

Being fairly new to FreeBSD, I was not sure where to go.  So, I posted to
freebsd-questions first, then to freebsd-net, and finally to
freebsd-security.  The latter is the only one that I received any answers
from.  I really appreciate the answers too!  They helped my by giving me food
for thought and while my problem is not solved, I was able to dig into places
I didn't know about owing to my being fairly new to FreeBSD and the IPSec
implmentation/utilities not being throughly documented.  Don't get me wrong,
I'm not complaining about the lack of documentation.  I understand that most
everyone is doing this out of a love of it and with limited time.

To cut to the chase, there doesn't seem to be a charter or detailed set of
guidlines for this list.

Without quoting the handbook completely, it says that a) this is a list for
"security issues", and b) it is a "technical mailing list for which strictly
technical content is expected."  So, even given all the discussion, I am
unsure as to whether I added to the noise problem or not.

It would be nice if some of the people concerned about off-topic discussions
could put together something for the uninformed among us.  The bottom line to
me, is that aside to the UCE/UBE (aka -spam) problem certain members of this
list want everyone to adhere to rules that have not IMHO properly voiced in a
formal way or in a permanent location.

I'm sure there have been discussions on this topic before, but most people are
not going to search the archives of a list looking for rules before posting.
If you expect that, I think you will be routinely disappointed and
frustrated.

Just my newbie $0.02
Ju