Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:19:31 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Default FDP docs installation directory?

Hi folks,

With the repo-change comes an opportunity to change where our docs
are installed.

Historically, the documentation has been installed in to /usr/doc.  This
includes the standard BSD documentation, and the FreeBSD specific
stuff, such as the FAQ and the Handbook.

This is a little inconsistent -- the BSD stuff lives in the src/ tree,
but the FAQ, Handbook, and others have been out of the src/ for some time.

In addition, the FDP stuff is in many different languages and encodings,
which needs to be catered for.

The Makefile's I've committed so far install the docs in to

where

  <lang>          en_US.ISO_8859-1 and friends

  <type>          books/, articles/, man/

  <doc name>      faq/, handbook/, programming-tools/

In addition, a language compatability symlink is installed.  So
/usr/local/share/doc/fdp/en is a symlink to
/usr/local/share/doc/fdp/en_US.ISO_8859-1, and
/usr/local/share/doc/fdp/ja_JP.eucJP is a symlink to
/usr/local/share/doc/fdp/ja (yes, Japanese team, I hadn't forgotten your
comments and concerns).

This is the best scheme I could come up.  It keeps the FDP stuff
away from documentation from other packages that might be installed (for
example, /usr/local/share/doc/{mutt,apache,jade,bzip2} and others all exist
on my system), and it's extendable.

In particular, I intend to support 'virtual types', as well as the
{books,articles} distinction.

So if you have installed books/printing, articles/samba-printing, and
articles/mac-printing (to pick three hypothetical examples) "make install"
would create the necessary symlinks so that the reader could go to

    % cd /usr/local/share/doc/fdp/en/printing
    % ls
    mac-printing/      printing/     samba-printing/

without needing to know that one of those was a book and that the other
two were articles.

A document could be in many different virtual types, so the reader can
access it in from many different routes on the filesystem.

Make sense?

Does anyone have any objections to /usr/local/share/doc/fdp/ as the root
path for the documentation?  'fdp' is a little bit cryptic, but I like
TLAs, and the only other alternative I could think of ('docproj', or
'doc-proj') is quite ugly.

One more thing -- A mid-term goal is for the pre-built docs (HTML, PS, PDF
and so on) to be distributed as binary packages, to be managed using the
pkg_* family.  I'm pretty certain this precludes putting the documentation
anywhere other than a subdirectory of /usr/local/, so the old /usr/doc/
directory is right out.

Comments?

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>