Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:40:33 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: L2 cache errors???

On 28/07/2015 19:48, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 7/28/2015 1:16 PM, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are these what I think they are?
>> Errors in the CPU L2 cache?
>>
>> Are the ECC corrected?
>> Or is error really "data kaput"?
>>

> Could be. There is also an erratum issue that triggers these errors on
> certain CPUs when running software like virtualbox.  It was fixed in
> RELENG_10 some time ago. What are you running ?
>

> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=269052
>
> has some details.

'mmm,
Not running Haswell stuff, but rather older hardware.

Looked in older logfiles, and there are a few more...
All with the same data, except that it is detected on different CPUs

And it occurs when running:
	        mbuffer -4 -m 1000M -I 6666 | \
                zfs receive -F -d -v zfs
to receive a full backup from my fileserver.

--WjW

No tweeked settings, neither is the CPU overheated.
System consumes about 200W, and has a supermicro 450W supply

Running 10.2-BETA2 on a
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650  @ 3.00GHz (3005.62-MHz
K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x10676  Family=0x6  Model=0x17  Stepping=6

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0x8e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  VT-x: Basic Features=0x5a0800<SMM,INS/OUTS>
        Pin-Based Controls=0x3f<ExtINT,NMI,VNMI>
        Primary Processor
Controls=0xf7f9fffe<INTWIN,TSCOff,HLT,INVLPG,MWAIT,RDPMC,RDTSC,CR3-LD,CR3-ST,CR8-LD,CR8-ST,TPR,NMIWIN,MOV-DR,IO,IOmap,MSRmap,MONITOR,PAUSE>
        Secondary Processor Controls=0x41<APIC,WBINVD>
        Exit Controls=0x5a0800<PAT-LD,EFER-SV,PTMR-SV>
        Entry Controls=0x5a0800
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
Instruction TLB: 2M pages, 4-way, 8 entries or 4M pages, 4-way, 4 entries
Instruction TLB: 4 KB Pages, 4-way set associative, 128 entries
64-Byte prefetching
Data TLB0: 4 KByte pages, 4-way associative, 16 entries
Data TLB0: 4 MByte pages, 4-way set associative, 16 entries
2nd-level cache: 6MByte, 24-way set associative, 64 byte line size
1st-level instruction cache: 32 KB, 8-way set associative, 64 byte line size
Data TLB1: 4 KByte pages, 4-way associative, 256 entries
1st-level data cache: 32 KB, 8-way set associative, 64 byte line size
L2 cache: 6144 kbytes, 16-way associative, 64 bytes/line
real memory  = 7516192768 (7168 MB)

Motherboard:
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.