Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:16:37 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dm@globalserve.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

I'll be happy to accept donations at FreeBSD, Inc. just as I have been
all along, but also be well aware of the fact that spending donations
on NFS is probably the worst possible use of the money.

Let's just look at all the "I'll donate some money!" calls so far:
I've seen a total of $900 pledged and could probably even reasonably
match this with existing funds 3 times over (whee!  $3600!), all of
which would just about pay for about one week of somebody's time at
rock-bottom "I'm doing this just because I like you" hourly consulting
rates.  One week is enough time to perhaps understand the problems in
detail, but hardly enough time to fix them.

Again, assuming rock-bottom rates and somebody truly capable of fixing
NFS-class problems on the job, it's an easy 90 days worth of work and
that would be $36,000 in contractor fees.  Even assuming a further
rate reduction for quantity, being FreeBSD, etc. we're probably
talking about at least $25K and a lot of whining from the contractor
about how he's practically giving his time away at that rate.

It'd be far more cost-effective, by comparison, to buy 5 nice machines
at around $2000 a pop and send them to 5 developers who I wanted to
guilt into the process of fixing NFS (and anything else I could think
of).  Even more cost-effective still to simply get some 3rd-party
company to foot the bill, as appears to be on the way to happening
now.

In other words, by all means donate some cash to the project, but
please don't expect me to spend it on NFS hacking - contract labor is
about the worst thing, speaking from a bang-for-buck perspective, that
I could spend the project's money on.  Do you know how many thousands
of dollars worth of work I've gotten, for example, for the price of
two $89 network cards? :-)

- Jordan