Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:28:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Donald Wilde wrote:

> Christopher Masto wrote:
> > Working threads?  NFS?
> >
> > I have nothing but FreeBSD on my machines, but I often hear the
> > comment that someone chose or went back to Linux because it has more
> > "support" for various things.  And lately the amount of software I
> > can't build because it relies on threads is growing.  (I think we've
> > "copied" Linux's implementation somewhere, but it doesn't seem to
> > be in the standard distribution.. sound familiar?)
> My understanding is that our NFS is far superior to Linux'.
> > I'm not advocating Linux, but I don't think we should be saying things
> > that make us look hypocritical.
> >
> My tack will be to play up our strengths, and encourage -- and embarass
> privately -- our guys to fix our weaknesses. You won't hear the words
> Linux or Microsoft very often any more from my lips, except with respect
> for what they are, but _what_ I promote in our OS will sure make them
> squirm. =8-D

I gotta say, that's kinda lame.  Different OS have different positive and
negative aspects... if you just promote FreeBSD over all other platforms,
you're going to misguide people when they should be going with something
else.  And don't tell me that FreeBSD is the optimal OS for all
situations, 'coz that's a load of horse pucky :)