Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Helping victims of terror

On 14-Sep-01 Stephen Hurd wrote:
>> >I think that the number is higher, but we can take your 10,000
>> >number, and put it in perspective:
>>
>> I can put it in perspective very well. I live in a town with a
>> total population of 26,000. That's less than the number of people
>> who were present in the WTC when the planes hit.
>
> I still don't agree with it... and if it's war they want, I say let's give it
> to them... but I'd like to think that we can give it ONLY to them... or at
> least do our darndest to try.

Boy, I had promised myself to categorically ignore all discussions on this, but
here's my viewpoint at least:  I think that what they want is war, they want to
die a martyr's death and stir up more anti-US sentiment.  Aside from any
governments involved, if an indivudal such as Bin Laden is involved, I think
the best thing to be done is to not kill him, but bring him to a war-cries
trial where he is condemned by the entire world for his actions so that he ends
up not being a martyr but a criminal.  In that instance he would still need
punishment.  If indeed he is responsible, I don't think he will stop.  It's
kind of like a child who will keep pushing against the parents to find out
where the limit is that they get punished to see how much they can get away
with.  If you follow the escalations of USS Cole -> Embassy bombings -> WTC you
can see a similar type of progression.

That's my $.02 anyways.