Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 2003 18:17:51 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        rsidd@online.fr
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Peeve: why "i386"?

rsidd> Debian (to take a random example):
rsidd> http://www.debian.org/ports/
rsidd> Intel x86 / IA-32 (``i386'')...
(other messages deleted)

Please note that "(Put your favorite OS except FreeBSD) calls it ia32,
so should we" is bad idea, since FreeBSD is FreeBSD :-)  And, the
message you mention is that "i386" is very common name for PCs, they
cannot simply says it's x86 and/or IA-32.

We're not teacheres of computer architecture; the name should be
common to us, rather than strict meanings.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita