Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/21443: I'm tired of telling people how to copy a disk.

The following reply was made to PR docs/21443; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, mwm@mired.org
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:59:54 +0200

 Mike Meyer wrote:
  > Since I don't use it, I'm not really willing to recommend it myself
  > (ditto for pax and cpio). For a number of reasons, I won't recommend
  > using it on the root fs.

 I'd suggest that you have a look at the manual page.  The tool was
 written by Matt Dillon and Dima Ruban specifically for making an
 _exact_ copy of a UFS directory tree or file system, including all
 hardlinks, softlinks, devicenodes, sockets etc., preserving flags,
 permissions and utimes.

 I'm not aware of any reason not to use it for the root FS.

  > So how about adding a sentence along the lines of "You might prefer
  > cpio(1), pax(1) or cpdup (in ports/sysutils/cpdup) to tar." at the
  > appropiate point?

 That would be OK.

 Thanks
    Oliver