Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:08:10 -0400
From:      wolf <mjoyner2@hq.dyns.cx>
To:        Q <q_dolan@yahoo.com.au>, emulation <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vmware2 and SIMD instructions

well cat /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo doesn't show simd. :)

whenever a guest os tries to enable SIMD, it crashes the guest os.
This makes vmware2 on a modern processer usesless for anything but an
operating system that is *not* simd aware, eg, no w2k, xp, newer linux,
newer *bsd, etc.

There is some stuff in

ports/emulators/vmware2/work/vmware-distrib/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c

for cpuid, trying to figure out how to badly hack it now.... to see if
a) it trashes my system (host), b) causes my kernel to panick, c) freaks
vmware out, d) is ignored, or least likely e) causes simd instructions
to be not-reported.

Seems like something or other could be masked in there to hide that one
capability

P.S. please use reply-all when replying, your post didn't make it to the
list.

--
Michael Joyner
FreeBSD System Administrator