Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:22:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Scott <gscott@guy.asimware.com>
To:        Brandon DeYoung <brandon@schoolpeople.net>
Cc:        FreeBSDHW <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID & FreeBSD

>     Is there a "best" RAID solution for Free BSD?
>     I just set up two new database servers and like a true coward installed
> Linux on them (RedHat 6.1 using software RAID). I did this because it
> appears that the only hardware controllers supported by Free BSD are DPT's
> SmartRAID I-IV which, though available, don't appear to be manufactured any
> longer. Is there a software RAID option for FreeBSD that I was unable to
> find?

I just set up FreeBSD witha DPT PM1564U3 SmartCacheIV card. Very nice
card.. only problem is you cannot use it with anything later than FreeBSD
3.2 since it is an i2o bus card as opposed to EATA.

These are great cards, just now that Adaptec has gone and borg'ed DPT, I
doubt DPT will be putting out these series of cards anymore, especially
with Qlogic SCSI chips on them.. (notice how the Qlogic part is nicely
ghosted out in their print ads? :)

>     Any and all suggestions and experiences anyone is willing to share would
> be greatly appreciated.

I managed to nail down the last card I could find at a supplier. If you do
a bunch of digging around you might be able to find one.

                        www.asimware.com
** Greg Scott,               **  Asimware Innovations Inc.  **
** Website Co-Ordinator      ** 600 Upper Wellington Unit D **
** Network Administrator     **  Hamilton, Ontario Canada   **
** gscott@asimware.com       **           L9A 3P9           **