Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 1995 12:56:53 -0400
From:      moto@CS.cmu.edu
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   AHC2940 + Micropolis/Seagate w/wo tagged queueing

Hi,

I have two types of drive (Micropolis 4221 and Seagate Barracuda I
(ST11950N)) and an AHA-2490. I did some experiments with these drives
enabling/disabling the tagged queueing option on 940412-SNAP. Here is
the result:

Machine:	GATEWAY2000 P5-100
Controller:	AHA-2940

Case 1) Kernel:	950412-SNAP stock
        Drive:	Seagate Barracuda I
	Result: perfectly working (even with 10MB/s xfer rate).

Case 2) Kernel:	950412-SNAP recompiled with AHC_TAGENABLE
        Drive:	Seagate Barracuda I
	Result: panics and reboots right after the drive is probed
		no matter how fast the xfer rate is.

Case 3) Kernel:	950412-SNAP stock
        Drive:	Micropolis 4221
	Result: working but up to 8MB/s. When 10MB/s is selected, timeout
		occurs.

Case 4) Kernel:	950412-SNAP recompiled with AHC_TAGENABLE
        Drive:	Micropolis 4221
	Result: timeout occurs even with 5MB/s xfer rate as before

(In either cases, only one SCSI drive is attached. No other SCSI
devices is present.)

I think that 950412 kernel is almost rock solid w.r.t. aha2940 driver,
but looks like it still has a subtle timing problem. Not to mention,
there is a possibility that this is just caused by a drive's firmware
problem, though. I'd like to hear an experience from other people who
are using aha2940. Thanks!

Motonori Shindou       Carnegie Mellon University       SCS Graduate Student
              e-mail: moto@cs.cmu.edu,  NiftyServe: GEG04056
WWW: http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001:/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/moto/WWW/moto-home.html
                   TEL: 412-362-9636   FAX: 412-362-9634