Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:56:26 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: log rotation, one process doesn't know about it

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:33:34 +0200 (CEST)
Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have set up dovecot to log its data to the same log as exim does. This
> works fine till midnight when it comes to log rotation. Then exim still
> logs to its log but dovecot ignores it.
>
> Now, I have done the homework, found that there is newsyslog.conf and read
> about flags. And I have the following entry in this file:
>
> /var/log/exim/mainlog   mailnull:mail   640  60    *    @T00  ZC
>
> I used to have a flag ZN but I read that the N flag actually makes syslogd
> ignore to inform other processes about a new file being rotated.
>
> So I removed it and left only Z, restarted syslogd, but no joy after
> midnight. I then added C out of sheer dispair but dovecot still ignores
> the new log after midnight.
>
> Could anyone suggest what I should do in order to make this work as
> intended?

Do one of the following:
1) Configure both exim and dovecot to log through syslog with the same
   facility.  Then configure syslogd to put that facility in the file
   you want.
2) Put exim and dovecot log data in seperate files and configure
   newsyslog to rotate both of those files.  If dovecot needs restarted
   in order to handle log rotation, be sure to put dovecot's PID file in
   the last column.

Personally, I do #1 -- all my mail programs log to /var/log/maillog, but
either will work.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies