Date:      31 Dec 2005 16:21:26 -0000
From:      John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE: How to convert BIND to TinyDNS?

>I am trying to provide the administrator of my upcoming NS2
>with my zonefiles in the TinyDNS format. But I am having some trouble
>comprehending its format.

It's pretty well documented in the page describing tinydns-data.  The
errors you were getting suggest that your BIND zone files contained
invalid entries which BIND was probably ignoring silently.

>> +domain1.com::*
>> +domain2.com::*
>> +domain3.com::*
>> +domain4.com::*
>> +domain5.com::*

What are those supposed to be?  Those are A records, they have to have
an IP address.

>> I have googled like crazy to find a decent script to do this
>> conversion for me.

I've found the easiest thing is to use the djbdns axfr-get client to
AXFR the data from the old BIND server.  That way you get whatever
the BIND server was actually serving.

R's,
John