Date:      Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:25:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL update

--------------enig02D70ABEC1FAB52D7C2E7167

On 07/06/2011 13:37, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 7 June 2011 12:56, Glenn McCalley <glenn@mail.bnetmd.net> wrote:
>> Trying to update MySQL from 4.1 to 5.5.
>> Updating mysql-client first.
>> Make works great, but make install refuses to install saying 5.5 confl=
icts
>> with 4.1, run
>> pkg_delete for 4.1.
>> pkg_delete for 4.1 refuses to deinstall as all the php52 packages
>> (extensions, mysql, mysqli, pdo_mysql etc.) depend on mysql 4.1.
>>
>> Question:  Do I have to deinstall everything, and then put it all back=

>> together, or can I force the mysql 5.5 client and 5.5 server to instal=
l?

>=20
> I'm at work at the moment, so I can't test these, sorry.
>=20
> Firstly, get portmaster:
>=20
> # pkg_add -r portmaster
>=20
> Then read the manpage:
>=20
> % man portmaster
>=20
> Try something like:
>=20
> # portmaster -o databases/mysql55-client mysql-client
>=20
> # portmaster -o databases/mysql55-server mysql-server
>=20
> Then, because you haven't read the manpage you'll have to confirm
> everything. Read the manpage!
>=20
> If it doesn't work (because I made a mistake with the -o syntax), read
> the manpage and then let us have the output.

After doing that, you will also need to:

   portmaster -fr databases/mysql55-client

to relink everything against the new libmysql.so -- portmaster defaults
to simply deleting any old shlibs when there is an ABI version bump, so
anything dependent on the older version will cease to function
corrrectly[*] from that point.  There is a '-w' option which can help
smooth over such transitions, but even that is no panacea.  If you
accidentally end up trying to load two different versions of libmysql.so
into the same application, it will result in crashyness.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] ie. you can't /start/ it: stuff that is already running will mostly
be OK.

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
JID: matthew@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW