Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:12:50 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 09:07:26AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> For one of Stallman's MILDER diatribes against Open Source, see
> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
> He, and others from the FSF, attack it (and *BSD) much more bluntly
> during speaking engagements.

> >Gregory S. Sutter recently uttered:
> >> I disagree with you.  The FSF doesn't oppose Open Source software
> >> any more than Linux opposes FreeBSD.

I think you missed my analogy.  Linux doesn't oppose BSD, it just
uses a different and incompatible licensing scheme.  The GPL isn't
opposing the BSD License, it just is a different and incompatible
licensing scheme.

However immediately incompatible the two schemes are, they both
support open source software.  The GPL (and the FSF) support a
subset of open source: totally free software.  To get this
discussion back to where it started, giving money to the FSF is
giving money for free software.  Is that bad?  It is doubtful that
RMS is going to convince a knowledgeable person to release under
the GPL instead of a BSD-style license with any amount of money.
If someone supports RMS's ideas about freedom of information, then
they'll release GPLed software; if not, they'll release under a
different license.  Either way, if the source code is available,
the goal has been reached.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com                "You uudecode it."