Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 00:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, "Kriston J. Rehberg" <kriston@ibm.net>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

On 04-May-98 Open Systems Networking wisely wrote:
> Seriously though, I think that part of the problem with the "free" is bad
> mentality when talking about FreeBSD's name is that people don't realize
> just how used FreeBSD is in coporate america. No it isn't selling like
> Microsoft. But it also doesn't need to. It takes multiple NT servers to
> equal one FreeBSD server. It is alot easier to track NT sales #'s to
> FreeBSD. I have no proof of any of this, just speculation and deduction,
> but there are lot's of places running FreeBSD in some capacity. I don't
> know what capacity but places like bellcore, AT&T (and many sub-divisions
> therein), uu-net, and probably many others run FreeBSD on some of their
> servers. I think FreeBSD is very well respected in MANY places by MANY
> people. People who run the technical side of things in companies.
> And they have the right not to admit to it up front and outright.
> FreeBSD doesn't enforce a GPL like philosophy :) You run our OS and we
> FORCE you to proudly say so! heh
> It would be great if they did, it would probably do wonders for us and
> give us great publicity. But again they are not obligated to.
> And I could be dreaming this and imagining these places powering things
> with FreeBSD but i'm willing to bet im not. I dont think people realize
> this, simply because we don't have UU-Net or bellcore shouting "Hey! Over
> here! Run FreeBSD it is superior to eveything in existance! We power our
> electric socks with it!" Just some food for thought for those who think
> Free in FreeBSD has made FreeBSD a road less traveled.

Right!
 That is why I feel we really need a web page on the FreeBSD site that highlites
 the companies more. Then there is a place for people to see someone from BigXCo
 saying " we use FreeBSD" That is something can can be looked at, counted and pa
raded.

   Nicole

     nicole@webweaver.net  - http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org - http://www.dangermouse.org/