Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:06:45 +0200
From:      Arne Norre Ekstroem <aneks@kom.auc.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Sysintstall probing hosed on -STABLE?

>>>>> "Nick" == Nick Folino <nickf@ptd.net> writes:

Nick> Did you try disabling all the IDE ports that you're not using in
Nick> the kernel?  It's probably looking for a nonexistant drive.

Since I am only running a 2.2.6-R machine, this might be out of place,
but anyway:

I have only one IDE HD installed in the machine, and a matching entry in
the kernel, alo I have an ATAPI CDROM Drive. I'm running on a
300MHz-PII, and when probing the IDE drives the machine waits for a very
loooong time, even the SCSI business is done a lot faster.

Kernel IDE-related output is:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE8.4A>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <ATAPI CDROM/V1.20>, removable, dma, iordy
wcd0: 4153Kb/sec, 120Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

\Arne

Nick> --------------------------------------------------------------- I
Nick> am the Nickhead nickf@ptd.net
Nick> ---------------------------------------------------------------

Nick> -----Original Message----- From: Atipa [SMTP:freebsd@atipa.com]
Nick> Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 1998 8:16 PM To: Jordan K. Hubbard Cc:
Nick> Jordan K. Hubbard; freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re:
Nick> Sysintstall probing hosed on -STABLE?

>> Hmmm.  How are these IDE drives connected?

Nick> In any order. I thought I had bad disks (or non-cooperating), so I
Nick> tried every combination possible. I wasted lots o' time :(...

Nick> I finally waited the 3 minutes to get an error message, but none
Nick> came; it was fine!  If I had been patient the first time, I am
Nick> sure it would have worked too.

Nick> Tried w/ 1 drive, 2 drives (MASTER/SLAVE and also
Nick> 1MASTER/2MASTER).

Nick> Kevin