Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        aw1@stade.co.uk
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Majordomo [was Re: And it's back]

Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 02:09:33PM -0700, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> <re being removed from mailing lists>
> > Is this a majordomo problem, or a freebsd-load-related problem?  Any one have
> > any ideas?
>
> In my opinion, both.
>
> I used to look after a system using Majordomo on a relatively small
> FreeBSD system (P120, 16MB). Majordomo can somewhat process happy - and
> if it runs in to the process limit while attempting to claim a lock
> file evil things happen to the alias list. I ruined several list by
> mailing 32 separate subscription approvals to Majordomo from my dialup
> machine. When I connected they they arrived in quick succession on the
> server, and the machine and majordomo went nuts, with sendmail and perl
> processes everywhere. When the dust settled I discovered that the alias
> file was empty. After restoring from a backup and perusing log files for

	wow! please be careful here.  i read "aliases files" and
	nearly filled my shorts!  i dont see how /etc/aliases
	could have been affected....majordomo doesnt have root.

	so your list file (or subscribers file) got toasted.
	hmm....

	which version of majordomo?

	are you grouping addresses, say 10 per outbound email, or
	are you sending 1 message per address and creating a sendmail
	process for each?

	we run in daemon mode.  1 message per 10 addresses (generally).
	addresses sorted by domain (not MX) but we use relays to
	handle outbound mail sorted by domain.

jmb