Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:52:45 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@COLSTATE.EDU (Christian)
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Curious...

Christian stands accused of saying:
>     I was curious to know how you (The people working on dos
> emulation) think Caldera's decision to distribute its Open DOS
> product's source over the internet will affect freeBSD's dos
> emulation?  Will freebsd be able to use parts of open dos in its do

In the tradition of commercial companies using the term "Open" to
describe their products (read: lying through scabrous orifices), the
license on "OpenDOS" is insufficiently "open" (at my reading) for us
to want to touch it with a 40' pole.

Some excerpts from their "open" license :

CALDERA OPENDOS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REDISTRIBUTION NOT
 PERMITTED

Caldera grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software free of
charge if (a) you are a student, faculty member or staff member of an
educational institution (K-12, junior college, college or library), a
staff member of a religious organization, or an employee of an
organization which meets Caldera's criteria for a charitable
non-profit organization; or (b) your use of the Software is for the
purpose of evaluating whether to purchase an ongoing license to the
Software.  The evaluation period for use by or on behalf of a
commercial entity is limited to 90 days; evaluation use by others is
not subject to this 90 day limit. Government agencies (other than
public libraries) are not considered educational, religious, or
charitable non-profit organizations for purposes of this Agreement.

 You may not:

  o  permit other individuals to use the Software except under the
     terms listed above;
  o  modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble
     (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such
     restriction), or create derivative works based on the Software;
  o  copy the Software other than as specified above;
  o  copy or reproduce the Software to any other computer for further
     reproduction or redistribution,

Basically, calling it "open" is a joke.  Also, somewhere along the line
there was supposed to be _source_ available.  Interesting how that hasn't
appeared, hmm?