Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:36:10 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        veers@disturbed.net
Cc:        wghicks@bellsouth.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The GPL might kill itself ?

From: Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:15:16 -0500 (EST)

> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
>
> > A new license emerges:
> >
> > http://www.opentelecom.org/
> >
> > FreeBSD: The Power to Serve  :-)
>
> 	Uhm.
>
> 	Is it me, or does that site look STRANGELY like www.freebsd.org? I
> suppose we can take this as collective flattery, but I find it disturbing.

I don't know our SGML documentation format yet but my guess is that
they both derive from a common ancestor.  Nik Clayton could elaborate on
this...

The FreeBSD team has often stated that the resources of the project
are available for the taking.  Even if they had derived from FreeBSD
I'd guess this is OK with the project.  It *is* FreeBSD  :-)

> 	So can someone explain te penguin at the bottom? Very very nasty..
>
> 	I smell a penguin^Wrat....

*Shrug*  I suppose that the person responsible for the site is familiar
with Linux.  I expect FreeBSD to be very popular with the types of developers
who will be interested in this, be patient and lend us a hand with some
good advocacy on behalf of FreeBSD.  We don't need to alienate ourselves
from the action.

IMHO this is a project that is very good for FreeBSD.  I certainly hope
that some of -core get interested in the project as well.  I believe
very strongly that CTI is very late coming around to FreeBSD which seems
to be a natural fit for those applications.

Today's announcement of Microsoft buying into Dialogic has been largely
overshadowed by this one.   I'm thrilled!

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.