Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:33:03 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        jbolivar@cantv.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA

FreeBSD-stable doesn't have releases as such, does it?

That is, if you cvsup you get the stable track as it exists that minute.

It's *called* "stable" most of the time;
as a release gets close, it is renamed BETA and then RC (release
candidate),
until the day it's truly officially blessed and it is named RELEASE and
that version number is frozen.
The next day (probably the same minute, actually), the label gets
switched back to STABLE and the version number is incremented by one.

Regardless of the label, though, it's exactly the same animal.

Thus, after 4.2-RELEASE, we got 4.3-STABLE, which is now 4.3-BETA and
will become 4.3-RC, and finally the same code base will be frozen into
4.3-RELEASE, at which time 4.4-STABLE will come into existance.

"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                  Support decss defendents.
Support http://www.programming-freedom.org.  Boycott amazon.com.