Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 22:35:14 +0100 (MET DST)
From:      uc@brian.lunetix.de (Ulrich Callmeier)
To:        maddox@CS.Berkeley.EDU (William Maddox)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed p90 hardware configuration

Hi,

> From
> reading the newsgroups, I get the impression that all of the video
> card makers diddle their designs constantly, and you often have little
> idea what RAMDAC or clock generator you are getting when you buy a
> specific model card.  I would greatly appreciate hearing from *anyone*
> who is a fully-satisfied user under XFree86 of a recently-acquired
> video card, so that I might have a chance of finding a board with
> exactly the same graphics chip, RAMDAC, and clock generator.

Exactly because of these problems I'd recommend the Trio64 S3 Chipset.  Here
you got all the components on one chip. Even Dirk Hohndel from XFree86 core
team recommended this chipset as the one making fewest trouble, because you
don't have the problem of varying RAMDACS, clockchips etc.

I for one bougth an Elsa Winner 1000 Trio 64 a week ago and have no problems
whatever with XFree86. The card was really cheap here (~$250).

Ulrich