Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:03:32 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

On Tue 2000-07-11 (09:45), Darren Henderson wrote:
> I can understand that and even sympathize with the idea. However, adding
> software to the standard distribution that doesn't share the same license
> of most of that distribution is a bad thing. What a pain it would be if
> there were dozens of slight BSD license variations.

There are dozens of slight BSD license variations already.  Not to
mention Beerware, Artistic, GPL, Less License, not to mention
dual-licenses, and other weirdness.

I've mailed Patrick privately to suggest the variation be slightly
adjusted such that, like the Artistic license, only if the software
_claims_ to be LPRng, shall it require the change.

If you're on an embedded platform or one-box solution, noone is going to
say 'lpc -V', and if you say 'LPRng inside!', you need simply qualify it
by saying "With local modifications for this platform".  If you're on a
commercial off-shoot of FreeBSD, you can either use it verbatim, or make
local changes, and qualify it simply be 'With local modifications for
FooBSD' in lpc -V.  If you're using the code for something that isn't
LPRng, you needn't do anything, and can subsequently use the code under
a standard two-clause BSD license.

I assume that's sufficient for everyone?  Are you amenable to this,
Patrick?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner