Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 09:19:32 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop recommendations in France / Europe?

Brad Knowles said on May 10, 2001 at 18:17:07:
> At 4:04 PM +0200 5/10/01, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> >  I'll probably not be going to England any time soon, and anyway I've
> >  heard that things are pretty expensive there... but I may travel a bit
> >  around other countries in the summer, and basically any schengen
> >  country is a possibility.
>
> 	If you can get to Paris, you can get to London in just another
> three hours via Eurostar.  My wife and I do it all the time -- it's
> much better than the plane.

I am in Paris.  I need a visa, in advance.  That's not true for EU
citizens, I believe.  It wouldn't be a problem getting a visa,
probably, but when you factor in the cost of the eurostar (if you're
in Paris, taking a plane is probably cheaper...)

> 	Otherwise, you have to go through the kind of hell I did -- where
> you buy the last remaining PowerBook G3 laptop available in any store
> in the country, but it has a Belgian AZERTY keyboard, and they have

I'll find out in a day or two... I did go to Surcouf yesterday (as DES
suggested), and they did have an Acer model which they assured me was
100% linux-compatible (they'd never heard of FreeBSD) but I didn't
think of asking about a qwerty keyboard.

However, I'm willing to live with some solution like remapping the
keys and pasting stickers on them...

Rahul