Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:53:23 -0400
From:      "David Sledge" <dsledge@appriss.com>
To:        "PSA" <listmstr@posom.com>, "Alex Pivovarov" <apivovarov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Eclipse GUI speed issue

-----Original Message-----
> It's hard to compare different versions of both the JDK (diablo vs. =
sun)=20
> and Eclipse (3.1.2 vs. 3.2) and call it an OS-related issue.  That =
said,=20
> Eclipse doesn't seem to be well maintained on FreeBSD.  It is kind of=20
> annoying that Eclipse decided to hard-wire the OS into the build =
system,=20
> and, of course, they pretended that *BSD didn't exist.

> At the moment this list is dead and Eclipse is not being supported on=20
> FreeBSD.  I assume that everyone has other priorities right now, but =
I'm=20
> hopeful that it will get picked up again.  Considering that even my=20
> OpenBSD system has a 3.2 port on it, it's hard for me to justify=20
> spending more time learning about this codebase to finish updating the =

> port when I could simply move to any other platform for it.

> I am curious, though, as to what happened to the original porter(s) =
and=20
> why they aren't even responding on the list anymore.

> psa

I don't know why this list stopped being used either. All communication =
for eclipse 3.2 has been taking place on the freebsd-java mailing list. =
We should probably start using the freebsd-eclipse mailing list though. =
As far as I can tell the original porter of eclipse 3.1.2 is currently =
busy and welcomed someone else to use his port as a base to port eclipse =
3.2. I found on eclipse's site where he uploaded his patches to be =
applied to the eclipse stream.  I am not sure why they were not added =
for the eclipse 3.2 release. When we are finished testing the eclipse =
3.2 port which is currently being worked on I will submit the patches to =
eclipse and see if maybe it can be added to the next release of eclipse. =
It looks like the CDT plugin for eclipse will need to be updated for =
eclipse 3.2 and the EPIC plugin maintainer has mentioned that he will =
update it when the 3.2 port has been tested a little longer. You can =
find the current eclipse 3.2 port at =
http://www.freshdevonrails.com/eclipse.shar and you can see the history =
for it in the archives of the freebsd-java mailing list.