Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:12:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

[ On Thursday, February 17, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote: ]

> Fixed this last night.

cool.

> Hmmm.  Odd, I've always noted the opposite.  If you do the novice install
> (which everyone should if they're trying to test the "typical case"), the
> mouse working properly is the typical case.

Rats. I should have said I did a "custom install". I've never used the "novice
install option." Here's some more info regarding the mouse. As I said before
it is a MouseMan+ ps/2 mouse. I know from experience that I cannot run moused
and get the "wheel" events to be seen by X. So, I don't run moused on my
-stable box. Therefore, I chose not to have sysinstall "setup the mouse." When
I got to the step of "configuring X" (running X's GUI setup--I can't remember
its contrived name...), the mouse was completely frozen. Only when I used the
keyboard to tab over to the appropriate place, type "/dev/psm0," TAB off that
dialog and hit "a" (to apply the change) did the mouse respond. After I did
this, the GUI X config went perfectly.

I've had this happen before when I installed 3.0 on this same machine last
year around this time. Except then, I was too stupid to hit "a" to apply the
change and I just hacked up a XF86Config file by hand ...

In the "novice" case, does sysinstall run moused? If so, does the X GUI
install look for /dev/sysmouse by default (I can't remember ... not near the
machine to try it now). If so, maybe that's why the "novice" one works. I just
didn't pick that because I knew I didn't want to run moused.....

> How did you install and configure GNOME+E?  I just tried a fresh install
> and selected it off the desktop menu and it worked just fine, exactly as
> you say you'd like it to work.

Yeah, that's all I did. I just chose the "GNOME+E" menu and it told me "I'm
installing things" and that was it. However, when I finished configuring the
system, rebooted, logged in as "me" and typed "startx" I got twm. There was no
.xinitrc. ? Once I added gnome-session to a .xinitrc file everything worked
beautifully with GNOME + E.

> This is a question for the I18N folks; I don't even try to puzzle out
> the various quirks of locale settings these days. :)

Well, perhaps at the very LEAST we could put skeletons of what needs to be
set, commented out in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc and put a mention of
"setup your correct locale settings by editing one of these files" in the
default /etc/motd? And, maybe a mention of doing that very thing could be
given as a dialog in sysinstall ... I dunno ... I just know that the variables
need to be set somewhere so that new users don't get freaked when they see
lots of warnings from GTK/Glib/Perl/etc. stuff....

At the very least, I'll send in patches to these two files to -doc tonight ...

> Thanks!
>
> - Jordan

No problem! I gotta contribute where I can ;-)

Do you think there will be a 4.0-RC 3 ISO before -RELEASE is officially
rolled? I'm leaving this new HDD that I did the install on last night "open"
for a while. If there is another one, I will be most happy to download, burn,
and re-install.

-Jr