Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2014 16:07:23 -0500
From:      Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu>
To:        Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Switching desktops

On 2014.08.17 15:48, Brian Wood wrote:
> This is on PCBSD 10.  When I login my choices are
> KDE and Fluxbox.  I'd like to try blackbox or xfce.  I've
> built blackbox, but am not sure how to try it.  Thanks

I recommend using the PC-BSD-specific lists (or IRC channels) and documentation
since the PC-BSD utilities are covered much better there. While PC-BSD is
indeed FreeBSD at its core, most interaction with it is through the specific
desktop utilities they provide, and only a few people on the general FreeBSD
lists are really familiar with PC-BSD beyond the very basics.

XFCE is a first-class DE on PC-BSD, and switching to it should be a breeze
using the Package Manager. A quick look at the docs suggests that blackbox will
need to be installed using the "Advanced View" (which is what accesses the bulk
of applications available for FreeBSD that are not specifically blessed by
PC-BSD - known as the standard binary packages in vanilla FreeBSD land).