Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:54:49 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Tiago Andre <tiagoandre@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rc.conf

Tiago Andre wrote:

> How do i "compile" my rc.conf file?
> whidout restar the pc

You can't.
The settings in rc.conf affect a number of different startup scripts.
I don't know of any way to reliably incorporate all rc.conf changes
into a running system.

On the flip side, if you know what you changed, you can manually
alter the running system.  For example: if you change your IP
address in rc.conf, you can change the running system with ifconfig.
If you change your default gateway, you can change your running
system with the route command.  I can't think of any rc.conf setting
that you can't change manually without a reboot, but it's going to
depend on the setting as to what you need to do.  If you mail the
list with the exact change(s) you want to make, I'm sure people will
help.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies