Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 11:36:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        tom@haven.uniserve.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic?

> > >   Can someone give me a e-mail/httpd/etc for Buslogic?  I want to order a
> > > Buslogic 946 and I can't find a supplier.
> >
> > I don't have an email address, but there number is (408) 492-9090.  I
> > also carry the Buslogic line of products, including the 946C.   I can't
> > get a current price until the morning.
> >
> > Is there some reason you want the 946C over an NCR 810 based controller?
> >
> > Also be ware that there have been compatibility problems with the 946C and
> > some motherboards.
>
> I am considering purchasing a high end 486 in the near future (486DX2/80?)
> for use as a new news server.  Having heard so many good things about PCI,
> the NCR 810, etc., and not knowing anything at all about PCI, I was
> wondering:
>
> Is there a good 486 PCI motherboard available?  What chipset should I be
> looking for?  Can I jam multiple NCR 810's on the thing and expect it to
> work?  (say, for example, 3 or 4 of them).

A ``good'' 486 PCI motherboard is the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G, it has a built
in NCR810 controller.  Uses bank interleaved memory (you must install
72 pin simms in pairs just like a Pentium :-)) to get decent memory
speeds.  And in general it just works.  It has 1 annoying bug that has
been found, and that is you must run the external cache in write through
mode.   I have not run the multi master PCI test on this board, so it
may infact have problems with more than 2 SCSI controllers (this is a
known problem with the Neptune chip set, but this board uses the Saturn II
chip set).

You only have 3 PCI slots on this board, so you could have a total
of 4 NCR810's including the on board one.  If your serious about this
(and it looks as if you are) get back to me in private email, I'll
be glad to bring another one in and load it with 3 NCR810 cards and
hang disks on it and see if it lives.

The other choices on boards here is the PCI/I-486AP4, I have seen
reports of people using it but have no first hand experience with
it :-(.  It does not have the NCR built in, or the ATIO, but it
does have built in PCI IDE, and 4 PCI slots.  This board with a
NCR810 would run about the same price as the PCI/I/-486SP3G.

Note that some of the ASUS boards do not support the AMD DX2/80 chip
(ie, they only have 25Mhz and 33Mhz clocks, you can run the chip,
but at 66Mhz :-().