Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:19:06 -0600
From:      Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, danial_thom@yahoo.com
Cc:        Miguel Saturnino <mags@oniduo.pt>
Subject:   Re: BSD Question's.

--nextPart2061507.bBT5fCFSuD

Hi Danial:

On Saturday 24 December 2005 10:44, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- Miguel Saturnino <mags@oniduo.pt> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 07:34 -0800, Danial Thom
> >
> > wrote:
> > > --- "Michael C. Shultz"
> >
> > <ringworm01@gmail.com>

> > A.

> > with

> > desktop

> > date

> > method

> > opinion

> > people

> > trying

> > have

> > products

> > nothing).

> > list?

> > > Why not just tell the truth, which is that
> > > Windows XP is the best that you can do for
> >
> > the
> >
> > > desktop
> >
> > Well, that's your opinion. For me, FreeBSD is a
> > much better desktop than
> > Windows -- it runs solid and fast and enables
> > me to be more productive
> > in my work. Of course, what is good for me
> > might not be so good for
> > someone else, I guess it depends on your needs.
>
> "more productive" in what way?
>
> Without considering all of the programs I use
> that only run in windows (such as my investment
> analysis tools, camera interface and photo
> editing programs), outline the "productivity"
> advantages of FreeBSD in terms of:
>
> 1) Time from unwrapping the computer to having a
> functional and usable system.

=46or me, FreeBSD is about twice as fast/easy to install/configure, and=20
infinitely cheaper.=20

> 2) General productivity advantages in a typical
> day. ie: what can you do with FreeBSD that you
> can't do in WinXP, and what is faster or more
> productive in FreeBSD

Depends on what you use it for.  I'm a C++ developer, and have a need to=20
examine/search/manipulate text files quite often, Windows, out of the box, =
is=20
inappropriate for this type of work.  I'd have to install all sorts of=20
applications, e.g., cygwin, et al, to get the applications/capabilities tha=
t=20
come "out of the box" on a typical *nix system, FreeBSD, Linux, etc...

If, on the other hand, you are wedded to an application that only runs on=20
windows, then the question is moot.  Unfortunately, there is one windows=20
program I'm forced to use, so I have a cheap laptop that sits on my desk fo=
r=20
that purpose.  Though I never use it directly, except to reboot it when it=
=20
hangs, say once a week, I access it via rdesktop in a window from one of my=
=20
=46reeBSD systems, typically my new HP laptop.

But no one can convince you of which OS you should use.  If you want to try=
=20
one, try it.  If not, don't.  I couldn't care less which OS other people us=
e,=20
just as I couldn't care less which car you drive.

happy holidays--I'm off to finish my shopping...
don=20