Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:39:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Bill Gates: "FreeBSD is our competitor"

In an otherwise forgettable interview with Bill Gates published in
issue 4/1999 of the German magazine c't, I note the following question
and answer fragment:

c't:   How much competition does Linux really pose to Windows NT?
       More and more large companies are using Linux.  Could that
       become dangerous for NT?

Gates: Windows NT has always had some competition.  FreeBSD has been
       around for a long time.  Apache, free software, has been used
       by large companies for a long time.  Maybe you have only
       noticed it now.  We have had competition from free software for
       a long time.  Our job is to do the things that people expect
       from an operating system [excuse me while a laugh myself silly.
       Ah, that's better] and to bring it to a completely new level.
       That is what we're doing with Windows 2000.  That is what we
       will do if future versions.

       [More stuff omitted.  He did *not* mention Linux in his answer.
       This is pretty typical of the interview, which I found a bit
       disappointing.  The interviewers could have really hammered him
       in a couple of places, but if they did, they didn't publish
       it].

For those of you who read c't, it's in the middle of the right-hand
column on page 20.

Greg