Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 1994 16:03:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Friend is having problems with PCI IDE controller.

First things first.

I have subscribed to this list about 5 minutes ago, so I don't know if
this has been (or is even being) discussed.  I will just apologize now.

A friend of mine is having trouble installing FreeBSD on his system.  He
is using a WD Caviar 730 and a generic PCI IDE controller.  The
controller is recognized by the system and the installation goes well
until the newfs.  The controller is timing out on the last physical
sector of the disk.  The fsbn and CHS from the error both seem to
indicate that this is the problem, at the very least.

When his installation is starting up, he gets a message from the system
about doubling the number of cynlinders because the disk reports 32
heads.  (This sounded familiar, but I can't remember if it turned out to
be important.

I have read through the *BSD FAQ, and I didn't see anything in there.
:-) Is there anything about this in the FreeBSD FAQ?

I appreciate your time.  Thanks much.