Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 03:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@Grizzly.COM>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD A Solution For Business

>From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
>> I must humbly disagree.  FreeBSD is not an alternative desktop system for a
>> business environment.  No Windozes application user is going to give up Word
>
>Why pull punches, Mark?  Let's put it even more bluntly: There is
>absolutely no rationale for any Unix system to go after the desktop or
>desktop application market right today, nor has there been for some
>time, and anyone who thinks otherwise has either been living under a
>stone for the last decade or is, pardon me, a complete and total
>idiot.

If you do find anyone who thinks so, I have some SCO stock to sell them for
$75 a share :-)

To be clear, this is the business application desktop market; in the
scientific and technical desktop market, FreeBSD is an excellent choice.

>>   o A port of Netscape enterprise server would be a plus.  Apache is
>
>The BSDI run works great though - we use it at Walnut Creek CDROM.

This is the kind of information that would great to have available.
Some thing like at set of `how to set up a XXX server on FreeBSD' pages
would be a good starting point.

(I quickly remember all of the people who are ready to kill me because
I owe them projects, results, etc).

>> On promoting FreeBSD.  Buying Jordan a couple of $1000 suits and a high limit
>> gold card and sending him out to wine and dine executives is not the answer.
>
>Not to this problem, no, though it'd certainly be the answer to a
>rather dull social life!  I'd even settle for just one $1000 suit. ;-)

A social life ain't all its cut out to be (he says at 3:00 AM Sat)...

>> P: "No problem, we have a Pentium system in the machine room that isn't being
>>     used for much, lets install FreeBSD on it.  He can be showing the VP
>>     in a couple of hours!"
>
>This is right on the money - I see this all the time.  Stealth
>marketing is sometimes the very best kind. :)

Amen.  The question then becomes, what can be done help these stealth
marketeers?  The key times are getting them started quickly and when they have
to de-cloak.  The HOWTOs would help the getting started.  A big problem with
de-cloaking is support, paided support.  Seriously, a lot of larger companies
avoid or have a policy against using free software because they can't buy a
support contract.  Never mind that most commercial software support sucks and
they at least have a fighting chance to fix a critical bug if they have
the source, they have to have that support contract.  Getting in bed with some
place like Cygnus and have an `official' support arangement might help.
Even charging several thousand a year for the privilege of e-mailing a
program that forwards the message on to a random core team member's beeper
might be enough.

Just ideas..

Mark