Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:01:09 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> (following up to -chat)

(Well, i decided to not followup to Terry's article at all...)

> >> And finally, using the shicky-micky listbox interface usually screws
> >> the nameserver setup at all.
> >
> > But it's easy.

Ease of use cannot be abused to justify a non-functional program.
Functionality must come first, and a nifty user interface might follow
once the functionality is there (and reasonably bug-free).  While i
accept that Unix often fails to continue to #2 at all, Mickeysoft
normally fails step #1, and immediately proceeds to #2.  I understand
that ``this sells better'', but we are not here to sell something, nor
are we here to justify sales droids.

It's really only an incident that these nameservers work at all, and
they only work if you're putting your local machine name into the SOA
record -- in all other cases, any nameserver on the world refuses to
accept zone transfers from these broken servers since they don't claim
to be authoritative.

And, they even got step #2 wrong, in that using the user interface
often enough breaks the entire nameserver.  Sometimes it's no longer
answering after hitting some button there, another time it doesn't
pick up the changes made, yet another time it changes options itself
(like removing the `forwarders' functionality).  One of our customers
is running several offices with this cr*p (they didn't have a Unix
machine in each office to run named on), and we came to the conclusion
of recommending them to never use the shicky-micky interface, but only
edit the zone files manually.  Fortunately, they didn't re-invent the
wheel regarding zone files.

Still, the major bug remains that these servers don't claim to be
authoritative.

> Then why don't you do it and import the configuration to your UNIX
> box?  I'd like to see it, if only to pick holes in it.

It probably would work.

Anyway, i can't understand why someone would go through this kind of
pretty-looking but slow to use UI when setting up a nameserver is
normally a matter of ten minutes.  You need to understand what the
various DNS RRs are for anyway, or the hell will break loose.  But,
once you understood, you could write the files with the editor of your
choice as well.

--
cheers, J"org