Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:55:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > one thing that HAS to happen is the fast that some devices CAN'T "appeare"
> > until the devfsd says it can, unless we force a very restrictive permision
> > on all devices (600 or something similar) otherwise we will have security
> > wholes up the wazoo... don't forget about this... a devfsd daemon is
> > definately the way to go...
>
> While I sharply disagree, with your assertion, I also point out that if
> you make such a all-singing-all-dancing devfsd, then you might as well get
> rid of devfs entirely, and just have devfsd make the devices using normal
> mknod commands.

You guys are going to rerun that whole argument, aren't you?

Why don't you just see if there's a way that, if a user wants, they CAN
have the devfsd, but otherwise you can do it in rc.conf.  You get what you
want, they get what they want.  You wouldn't be required to write code you
hate, just leave in a hook or two, so those folks who want the devfsd can
have it.

It wouldn't be so darn hard to cooperate, even if you thought the idea was
insane, would it?  You don't even have to write the code.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)