Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:24:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

On Wednesday, 28 October 1998 at 11:19:33 -0600, Licia wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Licia wrote:
>>
>>> A basic FreeBSD Compatible logo then?  Perhaps similar to the "Powered By
>>> FreeBSD" logo for web pages, with the wording modified?
>>
>> This is vote number two for something similar to "Powered by".
>
> I've placed some possible examples of logos at the following urls :
>
> http://www.o-o.org/fbsd-compat1.jpg
> http://www.o-o.org/fbsd-compat2.gif
> http://www.o-o.org/fbsd-compat3.gif

I'd go for number 3.  "Certified" doesn't sound so hot to me.

BTW, it would make comparison easier if you'd
pack them in an .html page so they could all appear on the screen
together.

> They are not very high quality, and would need permission from
> at least two copyright holders,

Who's the second?  I'm assuming that you don't include FreeBSD in the
list, since this is a FreeBSD effort.  AFAIK the only person who needs
to give permission is Kirk McKusick.  I don't expect you'd have
problems there.

> but show what I seem to understand from this discussion.  Please
> feel free to correct me :)

I still think we need at least two distinct stickers: "Works with
FreeBSD" and "designed for FreeBSD" are a good start.  Somehow we need
to encourage people to put our sticker on anything that works with
FreeBSD, and yet leave that little extra which might make them decide
to port their product directly.

Greg