Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 21:33:34 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Zeki Basbuyuk <Zeki@Dilbert.Oasysinc.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Performance under -stable/-current

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Zeki Basbuyuk stands accused of saying:
>
> > How do you get this speed? I thought there is a physical limitation
> > on how much speed you can get for a hard drive. The calculation is
> > as follows. 120 rps (revs per sec assuming 7200 rpm drive) X 40
> > sectors per track (average or above average) X 512 bps (bytes per
> > sector) = 2.4 MB /sec. To get 6 MB either spt needs to increase to
> > 100 or so or rotation needs to be increased.
>
> One should always temper theory with reality.  You can go a lot faster by
> striping your sectors across several surfaces, for example.

For example, multiply the above figure by the number of physical heads on
the drive, 5 for a barracuda.  It looks like he's only calculated for one
head.  I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the _internal_ data
transfer rate was about 47 to 70Mb/sec., at least for a barracuda.

> Reality shows us that the more agressive drives will happily outrun the
> sustained rate your envelope calculation suggests, so I guess reality is
> more complicated that you're allowing for 8)
>
> > Tom
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 0411-222-496       [[
> ]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax)  +61-8-267-3039        [[
> ]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )