Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:04:37 +0000
From:      Anthony Naggs <tony@ubik.demon.co.uk>
To:        Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem books?

In article <200203190542.g2J5gJi04830@sleipnir.ncsa.uiuc.edu>, Quincey
Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu> writes
>    What's the best book or other set of documentation describing the FFS
>filesystem format?

There is an overview in "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System", ISBN 0-201-54979-4.  Otherwise you're stuck reading
the source ...

>    Are there any good books or other pieces of documentation about NTFS?

"Inside Microsoft Windows 2000", David Solomon and Mark Russinovich,
Microsoft Press ISBN 0-7356-1021-5 Chapter 13 has the best published
info. (IMO)

Check http://www.sysinternals.com where there are utilities to read NTFS
volumes (executable only, I think they had source at one point for an
earlier version).  FileMon and NTFSinfo utilities are available in
source form and allow you to probe some details of a running system.

I am (intermittently) putting some resources/pointers together for low
level Windows programming.  Some of the books mentioned on my web page
have snippets of info, http://www.ubik.demon.co.uk/proginfo.html but
probably are not at the level you want.

Cheers,
      Tony