Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 100 00:39:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Benjamin <gregb@laserlab.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB ports replacing legacy ports on new machines (fwd)

> I thought USB's speed limit was 400kbps. I can't see using USB for ethernet or disk.

No, 12 mbps. today on any dime-store-variety PC or Mac.

> From what I've read, Firewire is the better solution of the two. Way better throughput.
> I have recently seen a hard drive with a firewire interface, FWIW.

> If I read industry standard practice correctly from the retail point of view,
> USB will be pumped up and sold out until the next "wonderful bus", a.k.a.
> Firewire, is "discovered". It's only money.

No, USB 2.0 is rated at 480 mbps.
It is more likely that firewire (IEEE 1394) will fall by the wayside eventually
(if USB 2.0 works as intended)

| Gregory Benjamin   Laserlab, Inc.       o Laser photoplotting          |
| gregb@laserlab.com 6790 Top Gun Street  o CNC machining                |
|                    Suite 9              o Chemical milling             |
|                    San Diego, CA 92121  o Printed Circuit Fabrication  |
| www.laserlab.com   Tel: 858-646-7660    o Precision photomasks         |
| ftp.laserlab.com   Fax: 858-646-7667    o AutoCAD to Gerber conversion |