Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:18:00 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        Marty Poulin <mpoulin@rascal.honk.org>, unknown@riverstyx.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

[-newbies removed from CC:]

"G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:
> >>Computers were so much simpler when
> >> I was 15! <big grin>
> >
> >Heh - back in the days when "GUI" meant that someone spilled their coffee
> >on the punch cards...
>
> Hehehe, that would have been a disaster! Punch cards were neat back then. I
> was quite impressed by what they could do and what we could do with them.
> When I first saw a punch card sorting machine at the age of 15, I was quite
> awed by its speed. I was a high school student in Slovakia--we were the
> only high school class in all of Slovakia that specialized in computer
> programming back then (1965). They took us to a company that had those
> sorting machines (and other machines). They showed them to us but pretty
> much did not allow us to touch them. :-)

Late one night, in a cool computer lab, the smell of machine oil and
ozone, the hum and whine of the LP-size disks and chillers all but
blocked from your conciousness as you toil over your project, your
baby...  You finish the last card and place it in the box.  Suddenly,
horribly, as you walk over to the reader, your shoe catches on a
loose floor tile, you go down, the box goes up, up, cards scatter,
fluttering everywhere like a swarm of butterflies in some insane
Anime film...

Now THAT'S a crash.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the