Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:56:14 -0700
From:      "Anthony C. Chavez" <acc@anthonychavez.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Indecisiveness and Domain registrations

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:56:04AM -0600, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.=
com> wrote:
> It looks like a frenzy in the -advocacy list.  It appears that many=20
> people want to take on a leadership type role - but not everyone can do=
=20
> that.

I wouldn't quite call it a frenzy.  I've seen much longer, heated
threads with many more participants. :-)

> Please, let's decide on a leader for the various projects, and let them=
=20
> organize and make sure decisions get made that best benefit FreeBSD as a=
=20
> project.
>=20
> I've registered bsdevents.org/com, and many of those who said "yea,=20
> register it!" are now saying "pfft, why reinvent the wheel, just use=20
> what we already have".  Now, I enjoy the enthusiasm, but come on=20
> everyone, lets not rush into anything just because we are excited.

I've said it twice now and I'll say it again.  I, for one, will not
oppose any advocacy efforts made by anyone else.  If you want to go
forward with bsdevents, then go for it!

I think that the ~real~ problem here is the lack of advocacy materials
for the BSDs.  But that's just ~my~ opinion, and the issue that I
intend to tackle.

Now, not to discourage you, but I think you should know that hosting
news about BSD-related advocacy events would be a natural extension for
Daemon News as well.  Having bsdevents could have the benefit of some
good, healthy competition, so I'm not opposed to it.

> For those who have volunteered to complete things on the To Do list,=20
> let's decide on due dates.  If you don't complete it by that date, then=
=20
> we need to know why, and if you need more help to complete the task.

Good idea.  Unfortunately, I am only going to be able to contribute what
I can whenever I can.  I, like many others, have other things to
address, such as work, other projects, etc.  So I, for one, cannot
commit to any deadlines.

However, it is my intention to put together a "to do" list for
advocacy.daemonnews.org of our own, perhaps borrowing a lot of the
points from the list that was submitted to freebsd-advocacy.

> It doesn't matter where the information is hosted.  No one cares. I=20
> personally think it should be a .org, and also feel there should be NO=20
> ADVERTISING whatsoever on the site - at all.  No "hosted by.." or anythin=
g.

Agreed, but what difference does it make?

> Who is willing to take a leadership role in this, and guide the rest to=
=20
> goals?  Let me remind those who would like to, that this could be a=20
> somewhat time consuming task.

I've stepped forth to lead the charge to address the lack of advocacy
materials---something I've wanted to do for ~years~ now, which is why I
feel I should be the one to lead it.  I realize that it will be time
consuming, and again, I cannot commit to deadlines.  I can promise,
however, that it will be done.  I can't let things sit idly by and rot
away (unless of course it's my personal Web site). :-)

> Eric
>=20
> --=20
> Eric Anderson	   Systems Administrator      Centaur Technology
> Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

--=20
Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc@anthonychavez.org         jabber:acc@jabber.anthonychavez.org

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW